Competency based interview questions are increasing in popularity, simply because they are an ideal way to test a potential employees performance in the future.
Basically, these are questions about your behaviour and the interviewer will use some clever questions to test your abilities and experience in ‘mock’ scenarios.
There are five main categories to questions around competency.
What are the five main competency questions in interviews?
- Individual competencies – your risk taking, persistence, honesty etc
- Management – are you able to lead a group of people through challenges
- Analysis – how you solve problems, attention to smaller details and how you innovate
- Social – how you work in teams and collaborate
- Motivation – what inspires you to take action
Make sure that when you answer these questions you’re drawing upon examples that you have already prepared and always stick to the truth, don’t make things up and always be yourself.